Basketball: why you should play in 2024
Basketball is one of the world’s favourite sports. What’s more, it’s one of Australia’s favourite pastimes. Adults and kids play in teams and parks across the country. It should also come as no surprise that Australia is one of the top teams in the world. Yes, we have a well-earned place at the top of the global rankings, and our team always crushes it in the Olympics!
There are many reasons why you should play this legendary game in 2024. If you have been thinking about ways to level up your fitness in the year to come, be sure to consider these reasons for playing ball:
- It’s fantastic exercise
Get your best basketball gear and join your local team – you’re in for a great exercise! This fantastic sport provides some of the best exercise you can imagine. The game combines fitness attributes like aerobic endurance, agility, balance, flexibility, strength and more.
But not only does it require these attributes – it actually works them whilst you play! You will start to notice an increase in your levels for each of these aspects. What’s more, the health and fitness you can gain from playing can be of great assistance to your body as you get older.
- It’s heaps of fun
You’re probably considering playing because you already love the sport, right? If so, you’re onto a winner. This is one of the most fun sports to play in Australia. Whether you’re just hanging out with some mates at the local ring or playing at a club, everyone enjoys playing this action-packed sport.
It is a fast-paced, high-octane, end-to-end experience that people of all ages can enjoy. Are you going to get a group of mates together and make a team at the local club? Or, are you happy just to play a little one-on-one in the park, working your fitness whilst having a great time in the process?
Either way, you’re doing yourself a real favour!
- It teaches great life lessons
There are many fantastic life lessons that can be learned from this sport, including:
- Discipline: Any athlete must be disciplined to take their game and fitness to new levels. With ball, you want to maintain a level of discipline for when you take to the court with your teammates. This discipline can be taken with you into all facets of personal and professional life.
- Motivation: Ball can be a gruelling sport. It can be hard to stay out on the court for the game’s entirety, and therefore requires plenty of motivation to do so! It is imperative that you stay motivated with your eyes on the prize even when your team goes down a few points. What’s more, the motivation you will learn from playing this awesome sport can be added to your everyday life, too.
- Teamwork: The older we get, the more we realise how much we need teamwork. Teamwork is imperative to navigating life’s challenges, as there are just some things we can’t do alone. What’s more, it is vital to have teamwork as part of our personal lives, especially when it comes to family matters. So, teamwork is another one of the great life skills to be learned from playing basketball.
- Resilience: Life gets everyone down occasionally. But what is important is having the strength to bounce back when things aren’t going your way. This happens on the court, too, and so you need resilience to step up even when you’re down on the board!
As you can see, there are many benefits to playing ball in 2024 – is it your time to head to the hoop?